Saturday, August 15, 2009

Miami, what were we thinking?

Why do vacations just seem too short? Well, ours was. Perhaps because it started like this: Called Delta earlier in the week, somehow they assigned another child to our family and so we couldn't be seated together and, therefore, my seat on all 4 flights became unassigned. (It turned out okay and we were able to all sit together on all flights). Wednesday night, we're packing, Oliver thinks that he's locked our trunk and we can't get into it...don't worry, that only lasted for about 20 minutes before he figured it out. Thursday morning works out pretty well. We get everything packed, get out 20 minutes later than planned, but no problems at the airport. The plane was another story.
Unfortunately, we didn't have great planning skills and were hoping that we could just let Ryan run the aisles and be fine. Which would have worked except that the seatbelt sign was on for the majority of the 3 1/2 hours and he was refusing to fall asleep in our arms while sitting. Luckily, we learned a few things and the flight from Atlanta to Miami was great(my three boys slept the whole way).
We get into Miami, get all our bags. Those of us living in the desert were a bit taken aback by the humidity and heat after dark. Oliver goes to get the rental where he was told they didn't have a reservation for us. But its okay because he found it pretty soon after saying that. He gets back to pick us all up and head to the hotel. One concern, he had taken his phone out when we arrived and called his sister to say we made it. When he got back from the rental place, he didn't have it. Yep, it got left on the plane.
By the time we start heading to our hotel its about 10pm. We're pretty good at directions so we weren't too concerned about this, except that the junction of the highway we were on and the interstate we needed to get onto was blocked by construction. But the detour signs weren't TOO hard to follow(unless it was hiding behind a tree). Luckily, the air conditioning worked in the van and Ryan, Evan, and Macy were having a great time sitting in the back altogether. We get to the hotel. It's right on the beach. Beautiful location. Service around 11pm, not so beautiful. The reservations were under Oliver's mom's name, but she had told us that if we beat her to the hotel, to just check in under her name. They didn't agree. But its okay, Mom and crew were about 5 minutes behind us! Wow, are we lucky or what? We get the keys for the room, everyone unloads and starts to head to the room while Oliver goes to park in the elusive parking lot(the desk didn't tell him how to get to the parking lot that was across the street-it involved going through store parking lots and through a back alley). While he's on that adventure, Chelsea is about to open the door to our double room, when she hears people inside. Loud people. Charlie runs back downstairs while Chelsea and I watch the 3 yahoos. 10 minutes later, we decide we're going back down to the lobby. Chelsea and I are superwomen. I bet you didn't know that.
Okay, the story is almost over(after all, the day's almost over right?). We finally get into new rooms. Thankfully, they are separate rooms because even though I had called earlier in the week to make sure they had cribs ("Yes, just ask for them when you check in") they had given them all out, so I don't know if anyone would have slept if we were sharing a double room like originally planned. Yay! We finally got a room!...with a Starbucks cup on the counter, with liquid inside, and an empty food container on the table and a chip bag on the floor and the toilet not flushed.
It's like 11:30pm, we hadn't eaten a real dinner yet and Mom, Beth, and Grandma were gracious enough to watch the babies while we drove to the Denny's down the road for a quick meal. Or so we thought...It was one of the worst restaurant experiences ever, with a delay in the placing of orders, of getting the food and with the manager standing there yelling at the employees while she stands there not helping customers either.
We finally get back to the hotel, everybody gets to their beds, and we bunker down for the night. The boys even slept!! Yay! But, Miami, you weren't on our favorite city list, in fact, we were definitely wondering if the trip was a good idea. What would you think?

5 comments:

Emily said...

Oh, this resonates with me! I think it's a lot of work to have fun! You sound way to chipper for what you went through but it all ends up being fun to have horrible stories right?

Kristen said...

Wow... I'm speechless! I can't believe that many things can all go wrong on one trip in such a short amount of time! Hopefully you had some other great moments to remember...

Nola said...

Wow that sounds like an adventure and a half! Bless your hearts! I am glad the boys slept though.

Megan Lewis said...

I don't think I have EVER had a good Denny's experience! I guess you know it is a vacation when everything goes wrong and you keep thinking, "I'm on vacation, this isn't supposed to be happening!" I am glad the rest of it was so much fun!

The Maughan-sters said...

hahaha I'm sorry to laugh, it's just that I totally know how you feel!!! That was like our first night in San Diego :-) Glad the rest of your trip was fun :-)