Sunday, January 24, 2010

Thoughts on an Angel

Today was one of those days where I compared Evan to the other children his age and felt a little sad about how his experience in this world is different than theirs. I know I shouldn't (and most of the time, I don't) but, today was the first time I went with him to Primary instead of taking him to Nursery at church (Oliver has been with him the previous times). Oliver and I used to spend our Sundays in the Primary with children just a few years older than Evan is now. Today I was reminded of some of the feelings I had back then, like how big they were and how even though they were still learning some concepts of sitting still and listening when the teacher speaks, they got it most of the time. They would listen and they were learning. They knew about Jesus and they knew stories branching all across the Bible, Book of Mormon, church history, and even some of the basic concepts of a relationship with Heavenly Father like prayer.
Today I went and sat with Evan. And I witnessed all of the bright eyes and happy faces(a few sad ones) who were excited to be with the other children and were contributing to the lesson being taught. No, they weren't all the children in Evan's class, but there are only 3 years difference between the youngest and the oldest in this first part of the Primary time. It was hard for me to believe that my son with bright eyes and a happy face was old enough to be in the same room with these children who a few years ago, I would have thought were SO big. Evan is my sweet baby. I know he's big and all that, but at the same time, he's not. What was Evan doing while everyone was singing and wanting to participate by answering questions and such? He finally remembered that he'd been here before and began walking around. He found the chalkboard great fun and pushed it back and forth just like he does in our lobby. He walked over to the piano and to the door and kept smiling at everyone. He began hugging all the kids sitting in his class row. And one of them seemed to take it pretty well which impressed me. For the last 20 minutes of church, Oliver (who had come in to let me go to Relief Society) had taken Evan back down to nursery where he could run around and play and not be frustrated by having to sit still.
Evan brings such a different dimension to any room he is in and I hope that these children can learn from him as I am. We are all different. We do see the world in a different way. Even though we think everyone understands the world in the same way because they may look the same or talk the same way we do, there is no way we can all understand it the same, because we each have different backgrounds and different experiences that shape our views. Even a sibling that you connect with closely and whom you agree with almost all the time, still doesn't view the world the same. Evan's blessing is that its a little more obvious that his experience is different. Yes, that may make life more challenging and may make people treat him differently. But I also know that some people love him even more because of what he can give. He may have made some of the children nervous by his aggressive hugs, but he is so excited to see them. My visiting teacher came by today who has a daughter in Evan's Primary class. She told me that last week she asked her daughter if Evan was in her class. Her response: Yes, and he kept hugging me...he was so happy to see me in class!
Thank you JaRae for not being afraid or freaked out by his unique talent. Thank you for not thinking it is a problem behavior as some might classify it. I love Evan and am grateful for his ability to show love so clearly and so widely. If you haven't had him walk up to you, throw his head back, close his eyes and wrap his arms tightly around you, you don't know what you're missing...even if he does pull your hair on the way.
And sometimes these eyes just make you happy.

5 comments:

Anna said...

I loved this! Thank you. Comparison is so hard. I guess I'm selfish and tend to get MORE caught up in how my experience is different rather than how his experience is. I had so many different expectations as a mom at this stage and age. For example, we have to be one on one here when we go out in public (meaning outside the house), so with 2 kids, I can't really make those fun trips to the library, or park or whatever unless I'm with Danny. BUT, we are working on it, and I do have hope that we won't always be like that. Enough self pity, sorry.

I've been meaning to tell you about a book I just discovered at our Library. It came out last August or something and is called, "Raising a Sensory Smart Child..." (can't remember the whole title, but they also sell it on Amazon and I'm going to purchase it). I LOVE it. I love the perspective. I love the information. Love Love Love it. It is a guide to sensory integration issues and has so much information that not only helps me understand Eli more, but also helps me understand other kids and what all the issues could be. I almost want to buy several copies so that I could pass them out to people that will be engaged with my son, assuming that they'd read it. Anyway, I just thought I'd pass it on.

Kristen said...

I totally agree! I met Evan for the first time just this last week when we went to hang out. Serra took a while to warm up to him, but she finally just told him she didn't want the hugs [she used to love giving hugs, but with Daddy being gone now she tries to reserve them for when he comes to visit]. But I was surprised at how much Evan pulled out of the world and his experience in it- you can see how he just loves everything he sees! And yes, his hugs are amazing [all hair-pulling or hat-taking-off aside]! :) You have a VERY special kid there.

emily and kevin griffin said...

what a sweetie. i'm sure it is a new and difficult experience for him to adjust to Primary. it sounds like he had a good start, and it's neat that you and oliver are right there with him. i'm sure that helps him so much.

rantipoler said...

What a sweetheart! I'm the Primary president in my ward and we used to have two autistic kids (brother & sister) in Primary. They really enriched my experience there. I learned a lot from them and was sad that they ended up in the branch when they split our ward last year. They were wonderful additions to our Primary, and the fact that their experience was different definitely benefited the rest of us. I'm sure Evan is a blessing to those around him.

Nola said...

I miss seeing Evan! He has such a love for everyone! That smile could melt any heart.
I am so glad that he has the chance to go to Primary and spend some time exploring that new adventure. I am also glad the other children are receptive to his big hugs. I think that was hard for my mom. My older brother was very "social" and usually other children reacted kindly to his friendly nature. The problem came from the parents who got nervous and quickly whisked their children away from my brother. I hope you meet kind parents and Evan can continue to bless the lives of others.