Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Childless Adults

I recently read The Giver by Lois Lowry for the first time. It's a very interesting book about a unique society. I won't discuss the book, other than a few points, because it's a really good book and you should just go read it if you haven't yet. One interesting part is that when the children of the family grow up, the family is no more. The parents become "Childless Adults" and they all live together. They are cared for by others and respected until they get too old. The biggest difference between The Giver's society and ours is that we don't lose our families, they just keep getting bigger. Many of us have known our grandparents and great-grandparents in our lives. Many of us are having to figure out how we deal with those loved ones growing past their own capacity to care for themselves.
I have been able to witness, currently, two different experiences of trying to care for aging parents(thankfully, I am not in that position yet) and my mother mentioned to me how interesting it has been to see how each individual deals with seeing loved ones deteriorate. This is a topic that is difficult for me. I don't think I handle interacting with aging loved ones well. Or perhaps interacting with loved ones isn't so bad. Perhaps I find it more difficult to interact with those I don't know who are aging, such as those who live together in a nursing home. Have you ever struggled with this aspect of life? Or have you figured out how to handle it? Do you even know how you'll handle it when your parents will need your help?
Elder Russell M. Nelson spoke poetically of aging: "It is the blessing of aging, with visible reminders that we are mortal beings destined one day to leave this 'frail existence.' Our bodies change every day. As we grow older, our broad chests and narrow waists have a tendency to trade places. We get wrinkles, lose color in our hair—even the hair itself—to remind us that we are mortal children of God, with a 'manufacturer’s guarantee' that we shall not be stranded upon the earth forever."
Hopefully, you can figure out how to help those going through this process in your own lives. I know I can contribute more to those dear ones who are having to handle it right now. We do love them, we just need to show it more.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I alway, always feel that way around older people too. I used to dread the Retirement home visits we'd do in Young Womens. I don't know that I've gotten over it. I just try my best-by trying to remember the things you pointed out

Megan Lewis said...

okay, I don't know how I missed this post earlier, but I want to comment anyway. I think your post is very insightful. I really enjoyed that book on many levels, but didn't really stop to consider the family dynamic of the story other than how little the family could feel and understand love. I think that when you love others you are able to overcome or face difficulties you'd rather not deal with (such as aging). I know that for me when I actually know the person I am interacting with, I stop seeing them as old, and start seeing a little spark of divine within them.