Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Home

What a week.
Last Monday, we started to pick a few paint colors for two rooms we wanted to paint.
Guest room pre-paint
Tuesday, we started painting. Natalie came up to help and Grandma & Grandma came to watch boys.
Yes, Natalie, I see the smiley face you created over there.
On Wednesday, Grandpa flew into town and joined the party and we started moving boxes.

Our bedroom is red!
The guest room...or the Green room.
Thursday got more crowded but more helpful when Charlie, Chelsea & the girls arrived. Grandpa put up all the safety gates, Oliver and Charlie hung all the curtains, the painting somehow got finished. We got everything over that was important for sleeping in our new home.
Measuring for the curtain rods.
On Friday, we tried to get some more things done and moved and sent Charlie & Chelsea to Utah County for some activities for the other side of the family.
On Saturday, Chris & Beth came to visit before heading to Utah County. After a frustrating morning on the phone, we eventually headed to Utah County ourselves. Natalie & Dave watched the boys while Oliver & I went to Mt. Timpanogos Temple to be a part of a big day for Oliver's grandma. It was a blessing to be in that sacred building after a long week. We shared a long stressful dinner with all that were present, spent a little time at the Creekhouse and then drove home.
Sunday was a little less busy in that we did rest, but Oliver & I gave talks in church. It was our last Sunday in the Deseret  Peak Ward and we were a little sad to see our time with those people end, but have been so grateful for all we've learned and shared with them.We both found it interesting that we were asked to base our talks on Elder Richard G Scott's conference address "For Peace at Home." I shared this experience from last week as well as a story from Elder Franklin D Richards talk given in 1983 called "Be a Peacemaker." And I talked about how Elder Scott's main point was that if you want to have peace in your home-because who doesn't?- you need to have peace in your heart and that can only be achieved by centering your life on Christ. Oliver shared eight of the very different topics Elder Scott mentions in his talk intermixed with his own experiences and thoughts. I was especially touched when he shared the point on service and relayed his favorite story about Christ in the book of John when Christ goes to the pool of Bethesda and heals the man who had been their for 38 years without being helped by anyone else. I'll say that its been awhile since Oliver has had tears come to his eyes and I was very touched.
Analyzing the new pinwheel.
Another Monday came by and we got another visit from Charlie, Chelsea, the girls, Grandpa, Grandma & Grandma Betty. It was a very successful afternoon. The women went to our old house, finished packing things into the van and cleaned it like its never been cleaned before. When Oliver, the boys, and I went back over to fix the thermostat, remove a towel rod, remove the old safety gate, and a couple other things, we were able to ask the manager to come check us out right then. He was so impressed that we had cleaned as well as we did that he forgave us for the many broken blinds and a broken window. Apparently, due to the specific situation of this complex, he normally receives trailers back in a more trashed condition. So...yay! We got a visit from a neighbor down our new street with a plate of brownies(which are sadly, almost gone due to ...me.) and the  boys played outside with a few neighbors.
Tuesday started way too early for Oliver & Evan when Evan decided to be awake at 4am. But other than that, the day started fine with Oliver going to school, Evan & Ryan being taken to school and I finished cleaning out our storage shed. Then I played some volleyball and got the boys. For whatever reason, I didn't have a fantastic day yesterday, but it was the last day of April and marked the last of our responsibilities to our old house and our old storage shed. Now our garage is overflowing with boxes that were packed haphazardly and need to be looked through. The house now needs to be organized, cleaned, and beautified. I'm still tired. But as I sit here in our new home, it feels like its ours.
Our happy family

1 comment:

Marci said...

I LOVE the paint colors! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your house after you get settled! Sounds like you had quite the crew there to help you guys out, I'm sure that was fabulous! Congratulations on your beautiful home!