Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Paint Doesn't Matter


We've been trying to make the apparently agonizing decision of what color to paint our bedroom. Neither of us have had this luxury and Oliver decided he likes the idea of a red bedroom. I need to adjust to that and who knew that the perfect shade of a color could be so difficult to pinpoint.
I've read an article on the psychology of color. It said that cool colors will be soothing and calming. So I immediately thought that we need to paint the boys room blue in order to keep that calmness in the air for Evan. And perhaps we should consider something blue in order to encourage that calmness in our own room.
Every night, either Oliver or I will lay in bed next to Evan. We keep him in bed so that he will eventually calm down and fall asleep. Many nights as I lay next to him, he flips and flops and turns and kicks and swings and hits. Usually he ends up with his head by my feet or his head against the wall as I rub his back or who knows how he contorts himself.
Last night, I lay next to him and he lay his head right next to mine. His cheek touching my forehead. He grabbed my hand and pulled it to his face. As I sang him a random selection of songs to both pass the time and, hopefully, relax him, I rubbed his chin and jawline. He slowly settled down and stopped moving. With my arm resting on his chest so that my hand could reach his cheek, I could feel his breathing slow. Finally, I realized that he had fallen asleep. His breathing was deep and his body was relaxed. 
At that moment, I realized that paint didn't matter. As Oliver said, when the lights are off, he'll calm down. And as long as I can experience some of that amazing transition, I don't care what color the rooms are.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

TRUE- Paint doesn't matter. YOU and Oliver Matter Most to Evan!
But I like Green!