Throughout my schooling years I was a professional procrastinator. You can ask Oliver, he remembers stories of late nights finishing assignments. I mean serious ones. I could complete an entire research paper in one night and get a fairly good grade. I knew that tendency was in me but since I haven't had to do school assignments in the last several years, I wondered if I was still likely to do that.
I am realizing that, yes, I am still a professional procrastinator. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get a "good grade" even if I start late this time. This time I've procrastinated friendship. I don't like to force myself on people, friendship is something that has always developed slowly for me. This time, I'm losing chances though. There are two fantastic women who have been nearby for the last several months who I would have loved to be in an inner circle with. And a few days ago I found out that my time is being cut short and they will both be gone within the month. I have let my shyness and my homebodiness get in the way of building a friendship with these two women. I don't think I'll ever be able to let them know how much just being acquainted with them has affected me. How I wish I was someone they could rely on and feel love from.
Many know the scriptural line about procrastination, but I'll share the whole scripture now. Alma 34:33
And now, as I said unto you before, as ye have had so many witnesses, therefore, I beeseech of you that ye do not procrastinate the day of your repentance until the end; for after this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, behold, if we do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed.
And now, I see the night of darkness coming. There are so many times I've let this happen. I struggle with this.
I once had a former coworker tell me, after I asked if her new coworker was working out, that it was great and that they had decided to be "real friends" and not just work friends. I know she was just explaining her new relationship, but that statement still sticks with me. I wish I was able to be real friends with people.
The last time I had a "real friend" close by was two years ago. and I didn't even make as good of an effort as I should have. I've always felt that relationships are one of the most important things you can gain in this life. But I have not been improving my time while in this life. And I have been allowing the night of darkness...or the time when these people move away, to allow me to stop laboring on that friendship.
So I'm going to try a little harder to be more friendly before these two women and their families move away. I'm going to try a little harder to become a real friend to those who are still here. And I'm going to try a little harder to rebuild relationships with those dear ones who have already moved outside of my immediate area. These relationships are important to me so shouldn't I be helping to cultivate them a little more instead of let them dwindle into memory alone?
4 comments:
I totally know how you feel. By the way... I was going to email you anyway, but I'll be in town in April and it's been SO long since I've seen you & your boys! So I know April can be a busy time for you- if it doesn't work out, there's always next time. But let me know if you want to get together sometime [I'll be in town from the 26th to the 30th].
You're my real friend :)
I think we are SO MUCH a like. I have struggled to make friends (pretty much since I have been married). I have lots of great surface level friends, but I lack that deep bond. Thanks for the reminder to get out of my comfort zone and build friends. Now that I am not working I have the time, so there is no excuse.
I've been meaning to comment on this post, but I've been putting it off...
Post a Comment