Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Mountains

Cascade, Timp, Lone Peak

This morning  my brother and I got up early and hiked to the top of Provo Peak (the tall triangle shaped mountain behind and above Y mountain), something that has been on my list for years. What a hike! Gorgeous weather, views, birds, and wildflowers…couldn’t have asked for more. It was a grueling hike gaining about 3000 feet in elevation in about a mile and a half. When I reached the top I was both so overwhelmingly exhausted and excited that I just about burst into tears.  We hurried back down and made it back to Provo just in time to my brother’s very pregnant wife’s admittance to the hospital (now I got all you ladies attention, didn’t I). We hope all goes well with them tonight.

Today reminded me how lucky I’ve been. I have been able to spend quite a bit of time in the higher elevations of our beautiful state of Utah this summer. On top of hiking and bird-watching trips, I have been doing a research project collecting plants from the north slope of the Uinta Mountains for the UVU herbarium. It has been an especially wet and cool year which has resulted in spectacular wildflowers. I’ve really been enjoying the mountains and would highly recommend getting out of the heat and up into our beautiful mountains. Some suggestions:

-Take a stroll around Sundance or Aspen Grove…a measly 20 minute drive from Provo.

-Take a picnic lunch up to Hope campground on the Squaw Peak Road….only 15 minutes from Provo.

-Hike up Rock Canyon.

Head up to Park city (about an hour drive) and walk around town or do the alpine slide or zip line.

-If you have a full day drive up through Kamas to the Mirror Lake Highway and get up above 10,000 feet….a short 2 hour drive from Provo.

- Take an afternoon and drive the Nebo Scenic loop and see some of the most beautiful area of the county only 30 minutes away!

Take advantage of our extraordinary surroundings.

Provo Peak Summit

Me: On top of the world….or at least on top of Utah Valley.

Click the link to view my trip report on Summitpost.org

No comments: