Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Cousin Camp

1 week.
7 children under the age of 12.
1 Grammy & Papa
1 great big happy family
It was the first time in 6 years that I had been home during the time of green and warmth. There were so many things that reminded me of why I love where I grew up.
The underground house where I grew up-the structure you see is our patio.
Not only that, but I got to spend all week with my sons, nephew, and nieces without silly things like parents getting in the way.
The hammock was a popular gathering spot for the older ones.
I learned that the oldest loves the cats and comes out of her shell when you play UNO. I learned that #2 loves to perform as well as became a great friend to the little ones. Number 3 doesn't stop talking(seriously) but is also very inventive. Number 4 enjoys the chickens, is pretty attached to #1, & rolls her eyes just like her mother. I got to meet #5 for the first time this week and she is sweet, polite, and very enthusiastic. Number 6 is my own, but he wouldn't leave my side for the first few days. He still gave out plenty of hugs, smiles and waves to any and all who were willing. And #7 LOVED all the attention he got.
Cousin Camp was a fun process and involved a lot of relaxing time as well as some big highlights. There were days at the park, days of getting wet(at Kiwanis Park, Lakeside, & Fun City), card games, The Clip game, lip syncs, taking care of the animals, stories about their parents, videos of their parents, Discovery Depot, and canoeing. Great meals. Lots of teasing. And I got to see almost all of my family (and the missionary far away was still part of the week through a package and an email).
Biggest brother!
Biggest Sister(the blonde in the middle of the boat)
Big sister
Big brother
Little brother
Here's a silly story of the week. We played Uno and the winner had to choose from the "consequence tin" which everyone had written some good or bad consequences in. I won Uno! My consequence? To Run the Driveway 5 times!(running the drive used to be a punishment) I started...in flip flops....with Evan on my back. Luckily, Pop tag teamed me and Mitchell finished it.
Making memories at Kastle Kreme
Here's a happy story of the week. My boys bonded with their cousins. Two of the cousins who havent' really been around little ones were looking out for Ryan or holding hands with Ryan. It was very sweet and I think that by the end, everyone had learned a little more about Evan and hopefully accepted him as family. Maybe next time it'll be even easier for them all to transition into friendship.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Kastle Kreme! Oh, you took me down memory lane too. But I must admit I didn't remember so many huge trees around your house!

rantipoler said...

How fun is that! Makes me wish I had a bunch of cousins my age to grow up with. :)