Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Random Holidays

I have always enjoyed finding out the random holidays that people celebrate each month. While sometimes I take advantage of the specific day or week by incorporating it into my RA staff meeting, I don't really have other ways to express those holidays. I'm not organized enough to put things together in my house when I know that my babies won't get it, but I still enjoy discovering them and sometimes celebrating them. I was very excited about Monday's Read Across America Day to celebrate Dr. Seuss' birthday. It went onto my calendar and that was about it...no extra reading, I didn't break open a single Dr. Seuss book. I did look at the Dr. Seuss backpack that was given to Evan on his birthday, but that was it. Plans made and not done. One thing I did to celebrate a random holiday is to create a word find with names for Celebrate Your Name Week. My RAs thoroughly enjoyed it instead of listening to me during our staff meeting.
So for your reading pleasure or creativity inspiring pleasure: March is not only National Women's History Month, it is also Music In Our Schools Month, National Umbrella Month, International Listening Month, National Craft Month, and among many others Adopt a Rescued Guinea Pig Month.
This week (1st-7th) is not only Celebrate Your Name Week, but it is also Sleep Awareness Week, Returned the Borrowed Books Week, Write a Letter of Appreciation Week, and the 2nd-8th is National Procrastination Week.
And today, March 4th is, among others, March Forth-Do Something Day, International Scrapbooking Industry Day and Learn What Your Name Means Day. Mine means Soft & gentle, peaceful and I've always loved that my maiden name means Broad-shouldered. I'm married to Olive tree wise-protector and we have two boys God is Good wise protector followed by Young Royalty lover of horses. At least according to the above website. This is obviously not accounting for any family connections and personal meanings of the name. For example, I am named after my great grandmothers and that is very special to me. What does your name mean and mean to you?
Happy Random Holiday to you!

4 comments:

Anna said...

That is awesome! Where do you figure all of that out? Do you have a site you go to?

Love, The Riemans said...

I am precious jewel, victory of the people, my honey's name is Strong one, strong one.

My oldest is "Slender, fair, huntsman." The red head is (same as you of course) Broad shouldered, mankind. And baby is Brave Protector of mankind.

Cool post megs--love you!

Holly R said...

I like your random holidays. You are so creative. And your pics in your last post are priceless. So cute. I hope you are doing well.

Megan Lewis said...

I think someone once told me I share a birthday with national roller coaster day. I thought that sounded pretty cool. Keep the good times/holidays coming!