I think the majority of people that know us may not know our random sleeping habits. We are night owls and have included Evan into that habit. I don't let him go to sleep until at least 10pm. At the same time, there are a couple factors that could contribute to Evan's unroutined sleeping. One being that we, as parents, don't have a set schedule for when he gets up, takes a nap, or how long the nap is, etc. etc. The other contributor may be the possible diagnosis of Angelman Syndrome where 20-80% of the cases have some sort of sleep disturbance. Anyway. Whatever the case may be, over the last week we've had a few fun late nights as a family.
One was a walk around Heritage leading us over to the waterfall where Oliver and I had a nice deep conversation while Evan had fallen asleep in the stroller.
The other was a few nights ago where we again went on a walk, but instead of going south, went north and ended up walking around Wymount Terrace(the married student on campus housing area). That was fun because Oliver used to work over there during a winter period where he would have to walk around late at night and so he had many memories from that walk and I found a beautiful spot with a nice view of Provo that I had no idea existed. Crazy. That one was fun, but we were gone much longer than we thought(got back home around 1:15am.--with a still awake Evan).
And then there was last night. Evan and Oliver fell asleep in the living room. Evan on the floor on a pillow and Oliver on the couch. At about 1am I decided that Evan needed to be moved and put into his crib. Well, the walk from our living room to the bedroom was enough to wake him up. Since he was awake, I changed him and then laid him down in the crib, from which he promptly sat up and pulled himself into a stand. He thought that was fun for awhile until I got dressed, turned the kitchen light off and got into bed. Unable to resist the temptation of standing up in the crib, he and I played the fun game of letting him cry for a while, then get up to lay him back down, put his blanket back on him and give him his pacifier again. This lasted for the next 2 hours until at 3:30, Oliver woke up from the couch to come into bed and seeing that Evan was so wide awake decided to take him back out to the living room. To make this story end sooner, I'll just say that at 6:30, Evan finally decided it was okay to fall asleep. He fell asleep on me on the couch, then was moved into his crib. I went back to sleep in bed and then Evan woke up so I pulled him into bed with me, where he actually fell asleep snuggled up next to me for an hour or two. It was amazing! (Evan thinks our bed is a playground as opposed to a place where one can cuddle with Mommy and Daddy). Oh the interesting life of being a parent.
The cute part is that as I am writing this(we got back from the grocery store about an hour and a half ago) my boys are sleeping on the couch together. They are very cute and I'm glad that Oliver has a little bit of a chance to snuggle with our normally wiggly son(one reason Oliver is looking forward to a newborn--less wiggles & more snuggles). Happy dreaming!
1 comment:
Snuggling in bed with little ones is always so much fun, but I agree, they want to play other than sleep. I'm glad Evan is like Morgan in that the bed is a forbidden playground...:)
Post a Comment