Friday, June 27, 2008

Birthdays

Happy Birthday to my love.
This is the 5th birthday I've been able to celebrate with Oliver and it was the first one that I didn't do a good job of planning. Years past has given him an entire 3 gallon bucket of Creamery ice cream and some cheesy poor college student gifts(even though I didn't actually get to be with him on his birthday that year), a scavenger hunt ending at a friends house for ice cream cake--and our car was a huge birthday present that year, a surprise party at a roller skating rink with ice cream cake, and last year was a barbecue and ice blocking at the park with siblings and more ice cream cake. This year we went to see Wall-E in the theater(the first time we've been to the theater in several months) and another ice cream cake. I keep apologizing for not preparing anything major this year, but he keeps telling me its okay because he got a baby for his birthday. I even let him take a nap this afternoon while Evan, Ryan and I went to a picnic put on by PEEP(Provo Early Education Program) that wasn't too exciting for a mother with two children who don't walk but was nice nevertheless.
Birthdays are crazy things. Marking the day someone entered the world. I love that at work, birthdays are an excuse to bring food to our staff meetings. And nobody has a problem with having extra servings of dessert or whatever food you like to indulge in. For some, birthdays are the day where you get to make the decisions: what you're having for dinner, what you get to do. For others, its the day that they don't want to have to make any decisions or want to make as few decisions as possible and just relax.
27 years and as Oliver said earlier (quoting Rudy & Claire Huxtable from the Cosby Show): "Yay Old!" Happy happy birthday! I love you.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I was so good at planning Jared's birthday until the birth of our children. Two children make life a little more complicated. Don't be so hard on yourself