Monday, May 11, 2009

Why Flowers?

For the last few weeks, I've been motivated to give flowers to those I feel deserve it. Perhaps the motivation came from Oliver's mom who wanted all the children to send flowers to Grandma on her 75th birthday because no one was able to be with her on that day. So we all sent flowers from our various locations and it made her day a little brighter. Our anniversary was a few weeks ago and I did get some flowers for that from Oliver. For Mother's Day weekend, all of my siblings were going to be together for my sister's birthday and farewell party except for me. Since it was her birthday and mother's day, I sent some flowers to my sisters and mom via Neal, one of my brothers. Definitely not the highlight of their weekend, but I hope it meant a little. And I got my own share of beautiful flowers for mother's day. From my children...thanks to Oliver. From my sister in law and from church. They're beautiful and they make our house look and smell a little better and more springlike. But why flowers? What makes flowers so universally a woman's gift or so easily turned to as an effort to show someone you were thinking of them or you appreciate them or you want them to get better or you love them?
It could be the color it brings into a room or a specific space. The color usually awes me and it definitely brings some girlishness to our house. Could it be the fresh smell? That is something amazing. The light spring aroma that makes you relax just a bit when you take a deep breath. (Sunday night before going to bed, I took a nice deep breath over the roses and over the lilies and daisies I had recieved that day and it instantly put a smile on my face).
Flowers aren't the most practical gift to give. I could have spent money on chocolates or on something that they may have wanted or needed more. So maybe flowers are just easy to give away? You don't have to worry whether they like it or not, because they'll die soon and be thrown out and the reciever doesn't have to deal with returns or having a random gift that they don't want.
I like to think that flowers bring joy. A simple way to send some joy someone's way without being too intrusive. And its more than sending a card although one usually goes with it. They are even a bit rare because they often only grow at specific times throughout the year. They are definitely what makes spring so nice-all the flowers blooming that remind us of rebirth and hope and of the beauty of the world around us.
Do you think flowers are an okay gift to give? Are they worth the money? Is there a better way to show your appreciation, love, or well wishes?

5 comments:

emily and kevin griffin said...

i think flowers are interesting, because they are so common, yet no one usually buys them for themselves. So when you receive flowers, it means someone's thinking of you, and took the time to go buy them for you and pick out special flowers either that you like or that they like. so it shows people's personalities, and i think it's fun to receive flowers! by the way...thanks for my flower and the note...it made my day...:)

Love, The Riemans said...

I love them...and so you made me question for the first time in my life--why? I think because they represent natural beauty, something I like to surround myself with. There is no make-up, clothes, hair coloring (most of the time), nothing really artificial...they're just naturally beautiful the way they are--and despite what people say and think they feel, there's always something refreshing and special about pure innocence and natural beauty and growth. Flowers, to me, almost represent the true form of love and magnificance. (I got a potted orchid for mothers day, and it's BEAUTIFUL...it just freshens my day each time I see it).

Oliver Hansen said...

I heard once that back in the cave-man days the cave-girls smelled bad cuz they never showered (unless their cave happened to be behind a waterfall, of course) so the cave-boys brought them flowers on special occasions to make them smell goodly.

Megan said...

From Jo:
I think flowers are a lovely gesture and when I look at my gerber daisies on the table they put a smile on my face. Thank you Meg, you are such a sweetheart and I appreciate you more than you will ever know.

Nicole said...

I like flowering plants- same idea, but they last longer.