Sunday, May 24, 2009

Firsts

In raising kids, you enjoy the firsts. Sometimes you even enjoy the multiple repeating of firsts. I love that Ryan claps. It was amazing when he did it for the first time, but it makes me giggle even now even though its no longer the first time. Firsts can be revitalizing. The first time Evan took more than 5 steps thrilled me to the core! I have had the privilege of experiencing a lot of firsts lately. Not just for my children, but for myself. For some reason, Oliver and I have decided that we should be taking more advantage of the state we are living in. I have been to so many cities and had a lot of new experiences lately. It's revitalizing!
We've always enjoyed going to new restaurants that we've never been to before, but its also a lot of fun to just drive down a road you've never taken before to see what you can see. Three weeks ago, I experienced my first ever massage and pedicure. I took my sister to the Missionary Training Center and walked inside for the first time ever. We drove to Manti and I saw the Manti temple, we found Snow College in Ephraim and we drove on two different roads to get in and out of the valley. (Which were both beautiful drives). We went to Layton for the walkathon and went to a park I'd never been to before as well as driving down a road that connected to another part of the area that I HAD been to. We drove further up the road to Squaw Peak than we've ever been before trying to get to Rock Canyon Campground, but were stopped by a caved in road. Oliver suddenly fell back in love with bird watchingand has taken us a few places for bird watching(It's an art that I have to work on still, but I think I'll get plenty of practice while also getting to see a lot of new scenery). Over the last two days we've driven on roads here in Provo that we've never driven before and they make it feel like you aren't even in Provo anymore.
Rejuvenating experiences. What's to come? Camping this week. Twice in two different places. Two places I've never been before. :) It's a wonder that infants and toddlers have so much energy. They get to experience all of their firsts and so quickly that of course they would have a lot of energy!
Which leads into the next thought process...the advantage of new experiences versus old traditions. What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

Love, The Riemans said...

Need I even answer megan...as you know, we're all about the firsts, the new things, because as we do them, we'll develop our own traditions--the Brian-Amber-Kalen-Brady-Trace traditions, and those mean so much. I'm so happy you guys are getting to experience so many new and exciting things--exploring in ways you haven't before. That's awesome.

lori said...

New experiences vs. old traditions. I'm going to be thinking about that all day!
Those pictures of your boys are DARLING!