Sunday, May 17, 2009

ASF Walkathon

Yesterday was a good day! Not only was it beautiful outside, but the walkathon went smoothly and we had a lot of fun.
We were able to finally meet some other families and individuals who have Angelman's or have "angels" in their lives. I only have a few pictures, but you can see that there was a good size group of people there. This is almost everyone that was participating in the walk, not just the individuals or immediate families of the angels. There was a "parade of the angels" at the beginning and then the walk began. It was marked out by orange traffic cones across the park as well as some photos of the angels with little sayings. Evan's was the very first one! Interspersed with the photos were signs with facts about Angelman Syndrome such as this one: Evan did a good job. He walked for probably a quarter of a mile at the beginning. But I don't think he was in the mood to walk very much. We've never really tested to see how far he would walk or how long. Because we were going at Evan's pace, we quickly became the last of the group. Which was fine. I just loved being there, spending time to focus on Evan and being with a group of people who understood what we were going through. I never once during the few hours we were there, felt like I had to explain Evan. When asked how old he was, I knew the asker had an understanding of what 2 1/2 really meant.
We were blessed to have Beth, B, Bekah, & Pugah come with us.And of course we are so thankful to all those who donated a few dollars to the foundation in Evan's name. I hope that everyone was able to take a walk yesterday or learned a little more about Angelman Syndrome because of our involvement in this walkathon. Thank you for your support!

5 comments:

Kristen said...

Good job- I'm glad you were able to participate. After Dad died, Paige and I did a heart disease walkathon and it really changed a lot of things in both our lives- our understanding, our fellowships, our outlook on life! Hopefully you can participate in more walks and enjoy the atmosphere involved!

Vicky said...

What a great thing! I'm glad it was a beautiful day for your walk, and especially that you were able to meet other families who share some of your experiences.

Emily said...

That is great! It looks beautiful in Utah right now.

emily and kevin griffin said...

i'm glad you went, that's neat that you were able to participate in a walk in Utah. What a cute and sweet little boy Evan is, and I'm so glad he has loving and supportive parents like you and Oliver!

Love, The Riemans said...

I'm so happy B and Bekah came too! I wish we could have been there--it sounds like it was wonderful.