Sunday, September 7, 2008

Our Angel

At this moment, I have 6 tabs at the top of my browser with different websites about Angelman Syndrome and haven't read through half of them. I was going to wait to post until I had more answers, but my beautiful son is still an angel, even if I don't know much about his syndrome. For those who don't know, Evan has officially been diagnosed with Angelman Syndrome.


I have been blessed to have a mother who started researching it back in May and has passed a lot of that info on to me. I'm also very blessed to have a brother-in-law who is dating a very intelligent young lady who has a lot of experience and done a lot of scientific research on the syndrome. While I have been grateful to hear the encouraging words from loved ones about how the Lord sends such children to special parents, I am more grateful for the fact that the Lord is a part of our lives and can help me through the day to day living and also give me a better understanding of long term things as well. I'm still very unaware of what is going on and how this will be effecting our lives, but as I learn more, I'm sure I will talk about it.


I am of the mind that I want people to know about it though because I don't want anyone to judge my happy little boy. I know there is no way to prevent human nature, but I am still wary of what will happen as he grows. It is very difficult to teach him and guide him and even discipline him, but we will get there. I hope. Today in Regional Conference, Elder Marlin K. Jensen of the Seventy shared some stories of having a brother who had some brain damage and the experience he had with people or other children teasing him. His talk was about treating everyone in this world with respect and without judgment, but it was still interesting to hear since I do have a child who the Angelman Syndrome Foundation refers to as an "Angel." He ended his talk with one of my favorite Primary Songs, "I'll Walk With You."


Because we have a two month old, it is very easy to think Evan is BIG, but the last few days, every time I have looked at him, I am hit with how tiny he is and how angelic and sweet. His beautiful blue eyes seem to look straight through to my heart and his small features just make me want to cuddle with him and protect him.
This is probably a year ago, but his eyes are still bright & innocent.
If you don't walk as most people do,
Some people walk away from you
But I won't, I won't.
If you don't talk as most people do,
Some people talk and laugh at you,
But I won't, I won't.
I'll walk with you, I'll talk with you,
That's how I'll show my love for you.
Jesus walked away from none
He gave His love to everyone
So I will, I will.
Jesus blessed all He could see,
Then turned and said, "Come, follow me,"
And I will, I will.
I'll walk with you, I'll talk with you,
That's how I'll show my love for you.

6 comments:

Vicky said...

Megan, you are a wonderful, hard-working mother and I admire you very much. I know that you and your family will be blessed. Your boys are beautiful.

Nola said...

I loved the talk Elder Jensen gave yesterday! I also love the song and sing it to Matyas often. I had two brothers that were handicap (same thing that Brigham Riner-however you spell his last name-has) and it is important to me to raise children that are respectful to everyone.
Keep learning about and loving your boys! You are wonderful.

Holly R said...

Megan, thanks for sharing this with us. It is a good reminder that though the world can be hard at times, we can help make it better each day. You have a beautiful sweet little family. I am so glad that I got to know you.

Marianne said...

Megan...WOW! I can't even imagine how overwhelming this must be for you guys. I do know that you're wonderful people and that you can make it through...if only that meant it would be easy! I wish you the best of luck and you will definitely be in our prayers. Evan is lucky to have you guys as parents.

P.S. I got your blog address off of Vicky's blog.

rantipoler said...

He is so beautiful and definitely blessed to have such great parents! He couldn't do any better!

lori said...

Just found this entry as I've been doing a little "catch-up"...Wes and I were so surprised and overwhelmed by the news! We send our love and prayers as you make your way through the remifications of this diagnosis. While I can't imagine your feelings, I get an undeniable taste of your testimony in this post and admire you so much for your faith and trust in the Lord. May he bless you and your beautiful, beautiful family!!!