Sunday, September 14, 2008

Not-a-blog

Oliver has recently stated that the blogs that I like to keep track of from friends as well as this one, are not really blogs, but online family history journals. Instad of focusing on a specific topic and voicing our opinion, we tell stories and post pictures and videos about our family.
I won't deny that's true. In fact, i enjoy that aspect of the "blog." But I'm also stubborn and have to say that most of the blogs I read, while being a way to keep up to date with others' lives, are intertwined with the traditional "blog" that Oliver seems to think is the only true definition. And because I am so stubborn, I actually looked up the definition of blog on dictionary.com which states that a blog is an online diary; a personal chronological log of thoughts published on a Web page. I also looked at wikipedia which says: Many blogs provide commentary or news on a particular subject; others function as more personal online diaries.
So while I can understand where Oliver's thoughts were going--wanting to discuss the development of technology from specific purposes to being used by the general public--I just wanted to share my enjoyment of all of those "non-blog" blogs out there. Thanks to everyone who chooses to use the blog format for whatever purposes they choose!

No comments: