Monday, July 7, 2008

"Are you willing to pray for the nation?"

The Independence Day weekend is coming to a close and I have thought about a lot of different things and had a lot of new experiences. I would say that it started Thursday night when Mom, Natalie, Evan, Ryan, and I went to SCERA Park in Orem to see the Ellis Island simulation. We watched a little video about the people that came through the island. Some stats of the island as well as personal accounts of the feelings they had riding into the harbor and seeing the Statue of Liberty awaiting them. This meant so much to so many because they were coming to a land of freedom. I know I take this for granted. What does it mean and feel like to be free? I know that I feel it because I don't have the experiences of being bound or confined, but do I truly understand that blessing? These millions of people came in and had their dreams fulfilled in coming to a land "where the streets are paved with cheese"(An American Tail). In the park were a couple hundred American flags set up in the shape of a star and at each point of the star(inner and outer) were 10 commitments that an incoming individual had to make before becoming a citizen. They ranged from "Are you willing to fight for the nation?" to "Are you willing to pray for the nation?" Again, some thought provoking questions.


On the morning of the 4th of July, Mom and Evan participated in their first run ever. Mom registered to run the Freedom Run 1 Mile Fun Run. She took Evan in the jogger for a run/walk around Kiwanis Park. The weather was beautiful and while many people did the 1 mile there were even more participating in the 5K and 10K runs that morning. Mom did great! She walked with Evan for just under 15 minutes to finish that mile. Faster than I could have gone. While they were doing that, I got to see several hot air balloons in the sky and then watch one land in the middle of the park! Cool for me! Evan liked watching all the people go by as he had the best seat--being pushed around as he lounged.

He even got his own "Finisher" award.After the run, we woke Nat up and walked down to Center Street to find a seat for the parade. This is the first summer I've actually woken up and taken the time to go see the parade. It was fun to see a lot of different things. All of the high school bands that participated were great, but it was also very interesting to see the emergency vehicles starting out the parade(once I realized where the official beginning of the parade was) followed by a long line of military vehicles with soldiers and veterans driving or being driven down the parade route. Seeing the crowd stand up to cheer, clap, wave and salute these men and women was one of the best parts of the parade. I began to think about my father-in-law who is doing his duty this summer and whom all of his family is very proud. Thank you Dad! While I enjoyed it, my boys did not because it got hot and Evan wanted to be in Mommy's arms which made it difficult to have Ryan in Mommy's arms and so I was grateful to walk back to Natalie's apartment and spend the hotter hours of the day in her cool living room rather than finishing the long walk uphill to our house.



That evening, we went to Springville to have a barbecue that was a 4th of July & Oliver's Grandma's birthday dinner. It was very nice and cool and Craig, Pat, and Karen put together a great meal for us. Craig had purchased some fireworks so we had some fun sitting and watching Craig, David, and Oliver set those off, followed by the neighbors setting off their own and then we came back to the house to try and watch the fireworks from the Stadium of Fire but even up on our top floor balcony, their is a large pine tree in between us and the stadium so the fireworks didn't have their full effect. I'm sorry, Mom, that you didn't get to see the fireworks from a canoe, but I'm glad you were with us.
Last night had fewer celebratory events but as it came to a close, I flipped on the TV and ended up watching the second half of "A More Perfect Union" on KBYU and was reminded of how many things and how much hard work went into forming this nation so many years ago. It wasn't just a one time event on July 4, 1776. It's interesting to think that just a handful of men gathered together to form such an important document as the Constitution for our country so long ago and to think about the size of our current government. One comment made or quoted in this film was by Benjamin Franklin who is trying to encourage everyone to be reasonable and to compromise and he mentions that it is so important to pray because that is what was done by those who wrote the Declaration of Indpendence and the nation was built on the principle of nothing being done without God. "If a sparrow cannot fall without him knowing..."


Some final independence thoughts occurred today during fast and testimony meeting in church where many members shared their testimonies of freedom in this nation which also led to the founding of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. One comment that Oliver made was that he is grateful for the many men and women who love us more than themselves by serving overseas and risking everything for us and he connected that to the One who paid the ultimate price for us because of His love for us.


What an amazing weekend of freedom, independence and love. What a blessing of living in this country where I have never felt binding ties restricting me from dreaming, or acting, or believing. Hooray for a place to worship as I wish, to become whatever I wish, and to have so many opportunities available that I miss most of them just because there are so many. I hope that Evan and Ryan will be able to gain a respect for our country and that I may be able to help them understand the concept of freedom and opportunity that this country offers, that our beliefs and the church offer and that are even available throughout the world.

4 comments:

lori said...

talk about thoughtful, inspiring posts! So glad you guys had a great fourth! So glad for these thought-provoking words! And so glad to see so many fun pictures of you and your boys!

Sherie said...

AMEN!!!
(We love the Provo events, especially the parade)

Scott and Laura said...

You guys are so cute! I miss you!

Vicky said...

The picture at the end is just darling! Thanks for your thoughts! I hope you all are doing well.