Saturday, September 22, 2012

How to Pull Out of a Funk

Last night started a downward spiral that I wasn't prepared for. For the first time in a very long time (I don't think I've ever done this before, but I am getting old and starting to lose my memory), I locked the keys inside the car. I didn't realize until after leaving the store with all of our newly purchased items and unfortunately it was our newest vehicle that we don't yet have the spare key for. We called a locksmith, got it worked out and after me feeling really dumb, enjoyed some ice cream cake as a family.
Unfortunately, at 2 am, Oliver woke me up very upset saying "They're towing our car!" I don't want to go into all the details and rant about how ridiculous it is nor how we feel we were unfairly treated. I could talk about the emotional roller coaster that I saw go through Oliver over the next few hours and how I had to sit and think really hard in how I could help calm him down without making him angrier. I could talk about how I physically felt a tightness in my chest with anxiety. Or how I was able to handle it easily in the moment but then woke up feeling extremely put out.
I don't even know how to work through it and it took me a very long time to calm down. We went to get it from the impound lot today and Oliver was very wise in saying, "since we're here, let's go do something fun."
So the boys got to have some chicken nuggets and play on the playplace...more of playing than eating occurred. Then Oliver granted me the joy of having a Smashburger. He laughed at me because the mere suggestion of that for lunch made me start to smile.
Then we went to Tracy Aviary in Salt Lake. And it was nice. Hot, but fun. Not only did we see birds, explore new corners that hadn't been there the last time we came several years ago, but we went to a little bird show. That provided an opportunity for a genuine smile.




"I'm an expert at birds." -Ryan
 


"That one's my favorite"
 
I can't thank Oliver enough for being my partner, my companion, and for finding a way to offer a hand for me to pull myself out of the funk.

2 comments:

Nola said...

Wow, I feel part of your pain. Our car was repossessed once by accident, but instead of returning it to us when they realized they made the mistake they dropped it off in another part of town (good thing it was a small town). I am sorry you are being treated unfairly. I am sure glad you got to try a Smashburger. That is still on my to do someday list.

Kristen said...

Way to go, Oliver! We LOVE the Tracy Aviary- there is a time when every Wednesday it only costs $1 to get in... I forget what that is though- you should look it up, it might be soon! Sorry about all the crap happening- life certainly can be frustrating sometimes...