Our beautiful son has been sick the last few days. Hasn't had a good appetite, been drowsy plus a nasty cough. I had been working on some home remedies, thinking it was croup. This morning I thought we were on the healing end. His cough was pretty near gone. He was super drowsy all day though.His appetite still isn't back. This afternoon, he had a seizure. A stiff legged, limb jerking, eye scanning seizure. I hate those.
A little while later, he was up and runnin' again, at least more than he'd been all day. I got him to eat a little bit. He was more upright instead of reclining. Daddy came home! That was a big highlight of his evening. He had another seizure. He dropped and then his eyes were stuck looking right. Oliver held him and then he seemed to stop breathing. We hated it.
He's in bed now, cuddling with his daddy.
He is our little angel. We are reminded of that a hundred fold during times of sickness.
Last time he was sick and had seizures, he had a fever. I learned at that time that anyone with a fever has a chance of a seizure so I assumed that when a child with a seizure disorder has a fever, of course there is going to be a seizure. Evan hasn't had a fever this week, so I guess I thought we'd be okay.
It is now 1:30am and after a day full of drowsiness and naps, he is awake and ready to go. He's drinking the milk that he'd been refusing earlier and I might even try to feed him again.
I'm grateful this only happens when he's sick.It makes it a bit easier to deal with the being awake at a time I don't want to be awake knowing that some parents have lost their children to seizures.
I'm grateful for the love I feel despite the lack of knowledge in how to handle it all.
I'm grateful for a husband who can step in when I feel like I can't handle it anymore. For the ability to confer and make decisions together.
I'm grateful for the little brother who is so caring and so sweet despite being a punk 3 year old. Who told me as I needed to get something from the car earlier, "I'll watch Evan, Mom."
I'm grateful for a phone call tonight from a beautiful associate requesting to babysit on Valentine's Day without knowing the long day I'd had.
I still agree with the title of this post though. Seizures suck. They do. They really do.


5 comments:
Seizures are super scary, I remember when I was in high school and I worked in the special ed room there was a boy who had seizures very often. I can only imagine it being awful when it is your own darling little boy! I hope he feels better soon!
Also, I love that little brother told you that he would watch Evan, that's really sweet!
Totally agree! Sorry for the hardship- and the long day. Glad he's on the mend now though! Alex was sick for about a week and refusing to eat pretty much anything- by the end I could see it in his face and on his body that he'd lost some weight... such a bad thing for little guys! Sickness in any shape is NEVER fun. :(
So sorry, Megan. Hope he's feeling better (and you, too).
I'm so, so sorry! I'm glad he's feeling better, and I'm so impressed (as always) that you can see the positive in any situation. Maybe when I grow up I can be like you!
I cannot imagine how I would handle that situation. Take care of your wonderful boys, and we'll be thinking of you!
Post a Comment