So I haven't gone to bed yet. Well...I think I was asleep for about 30 minutes. Evan just fell asleep half an hour ago. In order to keep myself awake while letting Evan wear himself out without playing with him, I was looking online at blogs of families with an Angelman child. There is something unique about having a child with special needs and while I know everyone has their own idea of the best way to raise their children, it is interesting to read the thoughts or experiences of them anyway. For example, I'm not the greatest advocate for Angelman Syndrome awareness or research or other things. I feel that Evan's symptoms are on the higher end of the scale. He can walk. He doesn't have seizures(this is huge in an area where children have died from the number or size of seizures their little bodies have had to endure). We were given a diagnosis fairly quickly, within the year of beginning the process when other families have had to endure multiple years of not knowing why their child was different. I think that part of my struggle with being overly involved is that I am still on the line in many situations of whether his behavior is due to this genetic syndrome or if it is due to his personality, or the way we act or react or teach him things. We have altered our lives for Evan in certain ways, but right now one of our concerns is how to get him into his bigger bed so that he will sleep. He needs the bigger bed because he's so tall, but in our opinions it needs to be enclosed so that he will fall asleep. But is it overly important that we do that, or should we be spending more time on training him how to fall asleep in a normal bed on his own?
I looked at one blog where the son is just a few years old and reminded me very much of Evan a few years ago. They are in Australia and she was posting about how she can't wait for the day when her son will walk to her. It was nice to be reminded of how miraculous that is. I looked at another blog where the family has 5 children and their daughter with Angelman's is the oldest. I've been wondering about whether I can handle adding another child to this mix. It is nice to see that other families have been able to do it.
Evan is an amazing little boy. There are a lot of things that I don't know how to overcome, like the way other children view him or interact with him when his actions seem mean(He likes to hit, kind of like giving you five, but continually and without your hand being ready for him. He pulls hair when hugging, sometimes even the hugging isn't understood). He can usually sleep pretty well, but today we couldn't figure out what was keeping him awake. While Oliver was trying to continue to find solutions(maybe he's hungry, thirsty, in pain, too hot, etc.), I kind of gave up and thought it was just the syndrome. And to know that this isn't a very common thing, made me (eventually) get to the point of being okay with it tonight instead of being angry that he wasn't falling asleep. Perhaps he needed some more oral stimulation than his pacifier was offering him because he fell asleep like this: 

On the upside he brings us a lot of joy. We notice his advancements more since we don't always know if they are going to come. He's four years old and we still get a huge kick out of him waving to us.
Well, time to stop this rambling and get some sleep.
4 comments:
Glad he finally got to sleep- kids do silly things and then just pass out in the weirdest positions sometimes! Serra doesn't have Angelman's Syndrome, but it's still frustrating when she's all hyped up and refuses to let her body relax and go to sleep. Parenting is hard stuff, and you do have more to deal with than the "average" parent [if there even is such a thing...] Hang in there- you guys are doing great! [If it's any consolation... I haven't had a good night's sleep for about a year now because Alex STILL gets up several times- and I slept horribly during the last bit of my pregnancy.]
Oh Megan, I understand kind of. Just trust your instincts with Evan, you are going GREAT!!
In my opinon you do what works best for you and your family and if you need him to be sleeping in his bed than it is important. The first time you posted about him being in a big boy bed I actually had some ideas on how you could keep him in bed. I won't volunteer them here but if you want to hear them let me know.
Deanna
Thanks for posting on my blog about Tom. You made me realize that I'm very lucky to have been blessed with such a special son. He was a horribly difficult baby and cried the first 9 months of life. I was sleep deprived for a very long time. He finally began sleeping the night at 18 months when I put him in a bed with Clare. He was waking up because he was lonely. He didn't have some of the more severe symptoms which include ADD. We got lucky that way. Because of the time it took to take care of him, Sammi had to wait to join our family.
I think there is no right or wrong way to deal with your special needs child. Each one is so different and only you as his parent can figure out what's the best way to deal with his special challenges.
I've read a bunch of poetry over the years telling parents with special needs children how we were chosen to be their parents because we are somehow special. I don't know if there's any truth to that, but I'd like to think that my Heavenly Father chose me to be Tom's mom. I think all of us who parent special children are heroes.
I think you're an amazing mom, and I admire your courage and strength.
P.S. I LOVE your banner picture. :)
Post a Comment