Five years. I have been a Hall Advisor for 5 years. "I'd like to thank the Academy..."
Five years is a long time for the culture of Hall Advisors lately. At least at BYU. Rarely will you find a Hall Advisor who builds a life long career from this point. I know of one who started here and has moved upward. When I was a student, the Hall Advisors were retiring from the position. I thought a Hall Advisor was a position for older, widowed women. That thought has changed as I've spent the last 5 years working with some absolutely amazing individuals who have been able to bring so much to the position in a short amount of time, 1 or 2 years instead of 20.
To start off my speech, I'd like to thank Megan. Not me, Megan, but my friend Megan. Crackle maybe? Or were you Snap? She got me my very first job with Residence Life. She got me started on this path 10 years ago. I was an early morning custodian which was not meshing well with my...sleep...while Megan had a job that was conflicting with her academics a bit. So she gave my name to Wendy, the office specialist, and some miracle happened where Wendy hired me as a mail clerk. Thank you, Wendy, you are an amazing woman, as well as having good taste.
Thank you, Jay. Your quirks and humor were always entertaining, but you also secretly supported my desire to become a Hall Advisor.
Thank you, Amber. The beautiful example of all that is good in the world(seriously, I don't think there's anything bad about that woman). She was a huge support to me. She encouraged me to keep trying, knowing that I could do this. While she's overly positive, I still trusted her. The unfortunate aspect of my becoming a Hall Advisor was that I took over for one of my dearest friends who left for adventure across the country. I still wonder how amazing it would have been to work with you.
I don't know if I can really write down each of the individuals that I've met and worked with over these 5 years that have impressed me or help me change. There are quite a few. There are too many of them that are just awesome people.(What can I say? The job attracts the awesome ones). And I don't want anyone to feel neglected. There are the few that helped me transition at the beginning who moved on shortly thereafter. I'm glad I can still track some of them down. I have no qualms in mentioning Shayla, Crystal & Deanna. You three specifically have taught me a lot about life, not just work. And Jacque, the years working with you have been entertaining and filled with lessons. And now I've been able to work more closely with some whom I have revered from afar. Thank you Lindsay, Laurie, Susie, Kendra, Lacey, and Kim for putting up with me as a more direct coworker. I can't discount others like the managers and RAs. Irmaleda, Ben, Vic, Dan. Shawnne, Amanda, Marci(wow...my A. Richards women rock), Danica. There are so many. Remember, just because I didn't mention you doesn't mean you aren't important...it's just that it's almost midnight and I should end this.
Thank you, Oliver. I know it hasn't been easy. I know that you sometimes get frustrated by my tendencies toward workaholicness. Thank you for loving me and supporting me.
Five years. That's a lot of time to devote to something. I appreciate that BYU recognizes their employees for the time given to a position. I hope that it's something that I've earned as well. Time and effort. That's why I make mention of it. I was a Hall Advisor before I was a mother. Being a Hall Advisor has sometimes frustrated other roles in my life, but I would be a fool to not recognize how much it has helped me also. Given me skills. Given me friends. Given me blessings.
Happy Anniversary.
8 comments:
wow... five years... time really does fly!
We love you Megan! :) You are the awesome one!
Woohoo! You mentioned me! Five years! Wow! You are incredible!
I miss DT and many of those great people you mentioned! I remember that when I was an undergrad living there, all of the Hall Advisors were older widowed women (Sis. Garrison, Ma Bell, etc.), but I think there's something to be said for having someone closer to college age looking out for the kids. Also, I remember when I first started working at DT as a CA, and thinking, "Wow, Megan knows everything." :)
Yeah for 5 years! I always dreamed of that accomplishment. They are sure lucky to have you!
That is amazing! The last HA that lasted 5 years (that I knew of) was Missy. You are amazing!
Happy Anniversary to one of the best Hall Advisors I ever had the opportunity of working with. You're incredible, Megan.
Megan stop you are making me cry. I've never been acknowldged by the acadamy before. But really, it was you all you. Your drive to get up at unholy hours and to keep going at it. You are inspiring!
Post a Comment