Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas? Really?


I have been trying to be ready for Christmas. Trying to feel all the special, happy and exciting feelings that I am accustomed to feeling around this time each year. I've been participating with our ward choir. We did a Messiah Sing-a-long last week and then this past Sunday was the Christmas program which involved lots of music. I loved the music. I had moments of amazement. Like when the bass soloist sang the line in the Messiah about the trumpets sounding and I felt like the trumpets were really sounding. And I've found a new favorite Christmas song Candlelight Carol with the line: "How can you measure the love of a mother and how can you write down a baby's first cry?"

I've been watching Christmas movies and I put up a tree...with one ornament. I wanted to create an amazing gift to share with friends and family, but I've just been busy and tired and hadn't done it until a few days ago. We also haven't sent out any gifts that need to go far far away to my family that I won't see this Christmas and that means they won't get to them by Christmas day.

Normally I'll have been celebrating Christmas in my heart for like 3 weeks now, but it just hasn't happened. I'm hoping that by the end of this week, I'll be more in the Spirit of giving and sharing and celebrating Christ and His birth in my life and why it is so important and special. And maybe I'll just celebrate Christmas for the 3 weeks AFTER Christmas instead of before. I love the image of the nativity. We have a handful of nativity statues but this year, I haven't decorated. i don't feel like I have many places to decorate that would be safe from destroying hands. But I'll try a little harder this week.

So Oliver always laughs at me for rambling when I write(or talk or whatever) but it happens sometimes. The lack of celebrating has also caused me to not be motivated to write on this blog. But I will share one little thought from a classic Christmas short, Mr. Krueger's Christmas.

"'I Love You.' That's the true message of Christmas. Clarissa said it to Mr. Krueger. Mr. Krueger said it to Jesus and Jesus, in so many ways, has said it to us."

The Holy Family Nativity by Heidi Malott
Love. I need to feel a little more love for everyone. For my family, for my friends, for Christ. I hope you are enjoying your celebrations and festivities.

1 comment:

Jessica Munk said...

I'm totally feeling the same way. I've been thinking a lot about Christ. But the traditional Christmas feel and anticipation is just absent. I'm not in the mood to do any of our traditional stuff and each day this week has just been weird for me. Maybe it will change when jon is off work? Merry Christmas to you!