Often in a relationship, the settling point is decided very easily-either both partners come from the same area and both want to return to it or one of the two have a strong desire and the other is okay with that decision or it is decided by the occupations and where those job openings are. For poor decision makers, a teaching position is too flexible to help us narrow anything down.
I have always thought that I would return to the Midwest. I love the trees, I love the flatland, I love the green and the natural way that the rain comes and makes it so green. Because we don't have a yard to care for everyday ourselves, sometimes I'm still a bit taken aback by the efforts put forth just to keep a yard green during the summer.
Anyway, Oliver and I still have a little while before we HAVE to make the decision, but it is still interesting to think about. What are your priorities in making that decision? Is it the weather/climate? The natural landscape? The size of a city or town? What you've always considered to be "home"? How close or far away you are to family? and if you have to choose one family over the other, which one do you pick-or do you pick neither and therefore don't have to feel you are missing out on one side more than the other? Do you choose the place that you've enjoyed living the most?
Most of Oliver's life has been spent as a military child whose home was dictated by someone other than his parents and was changed every 3 years(roughly). You would think that would help our cause right? Wrong. Oliver found positives and negatives in every place he lived and enjoyed them all equally. So that doesn't help us. In fact, he has now lived in Utah the longest. After his mission he came back to Utah and has lived in Provo ever since-that's almost 8 years for him. And all of the things that we have done together as a couple and as a family and what he has done through school of exploring the natural surroundings of Utah has actually made him form a connection with this state that he hasn't had with any other place. My problem is that I'd never considered Utah to be a final settling ground for me. I lived in not only the same city or same state my growing up years, but the exact same house and I loved it! And something else I've had to think about is that does it matter where you live? Does the location make a difference or is it how you raise your children and what you focus on as a family inside the home you live in? I've determined that it comes down to what goes on within the family boundaries. Our children's lives will be effected by where we live, but it shouldn't determine their character or their morals or all those good things that I want them to develop. There shouldn't be a BAD place to live (unless your family is in danger) so long as you can give your family what it needs and help everyone achieve what they want to achieve and help everyone grow closer to God and become the best person they can become.
What has made you decide where to plant your feet?(oh...one day, I'll have a yard and can plant stuff that grows)
What has made you decide where to plant your feet?(oh...one day, I'll have a yard and can plant stuff that grows)
And to appease one dear friend of mine, here's a photo of me that Oliver took in Nevada during our long weekend.
5 comments:
I guess I'll be the first to tell you my thoughts about deciding where to live. My biggest thing was where the job would be. But, like you said, some professions leave it wide open for you to pick where you want to go. I suppose we could have applied all over the country. We both grew up in the western states, so we both wanted to stay this way. I think we could have been pretty happy in Utah, but we (mostly I) felt the urge to get away from Utah because Paul's family is there and we wanted to take off on our own, at least for a few years, just to do it and try life out on 100% of our own steam, if you know what I mean. Somehow Paul was led to check out a place called Bellingham, WA, and he liked what he saw, so he started applying for jobs there (here). And really there wasn't a lot of the type of job he wanted in Utah anyway. Thankfully something worked out to get us to Bellingham, and now here we are. We did choose this place, so I guess it's just as likely we could have chosen another place and been happy there, too. I think we'll be happy here for a long time, if that's the way things go. However, in my opinion (boy, is this getting long), I don't think we'd be happy "anywhere." I think there are certain environments and conditions that are uncomfortable for some people, but not for others, that would make living in a certain place less than ideal, no matter the way things go within the home itself. For example, I lived in Alaska for 4 months, and know I would HATE living there full time. Likewise, some people would be miserable and depressed in the pacific northwest because of the constant cloud cover but others love it. Paul hates the intense heat of the desert, so he refuses to even consider jobs in Arizona or Nevada. So there you go. Sorry for the novel. I'm sure you guys will have many options, so good look with the big decision (when it comes).
Wow. That was an incredibly long comment. That little scrolling comment box is deceiving.
I'd definitely have to say that I will move for work. I really like eating and wearing cloths (especially in this economy). :)
After that, assuming I have a choice, I think I'll have to decide the state based on quality of services for E. I'm learning that the states where our families live aren't really good for that, so unless our families move (or it is the only job - I like eating, remember?) we won't be living near them. Other than that I'm all about crime, cost of living, family friendly, schools, etc. I'm not too picky about location. I could figure it out wherever...I think.
I'm very sensitive to being hot or cold so weather plays a part when we're deciding where we want to live. I'd love to have family relatively close to us (a day's drive). Good luck with the decision!
Hey lady! I love everyones comments and I agree. Although, I have to admit, I miss UT, I agree with Anna. It's nice to eat and have clothes. :)
P.S. LOVE the picture of you. Thanks for posting.
Post a Comment