Friday, October 10, 2008

Training or Torture?

Evan has his first official pair of shoes and wore them for the first time today. The physical therapist that we visited a week ago said that we could buy him some hightop hiking boots or pay for a DAFO(basically an ankle supporter) that would cost 700-800 dollars. So instead we found these shoes at Payless for $20 and will be trying them out. He's only been wearing them for 2 hours, but it hurts my heart to see him with them on. It seriously has changed his whole demeanor. To have his feet confined with rather heavy clunkers makes him not want to move. The above picture is proof of that...he sat there for at least 10 minutes and that little half a grin makes him look drugged. Normally any picture we try to get of Evan is blurred from his movement or he's sleeping.
The point of the shoes is to help correct his ankle position and to help desensitize his feet so that he doesn't put pressure on the inside of his feet and can enjoy walking. Like I said, it's only been a few hours, but he's supposed to wear them 8-10 hours a day everyday and right now, it just breaks my heart. Without Oliver, who is trying to keep Evan happy by reading to him and playing with him, I'm not sure if Evan would still be wearing them. I'll take that back, he would still be wearing them, but I would probably be crying.
So I know I need to stick with it. We'll see the doctor again on Thursday and see what he thinks about these boots. So that's a week to work with these things for at least 8 hours and to get Evan used to them. I love him and I do hope that this is a beneficial thing for him and not just a form of torture for our adorable almost two year old.

5 comments:

Schlofmans said...

Oh Megan! I bet your heart is breaking! But hang in there Lady and it will be ok. You guys are in our prayers.

Janna said...

Hi Megan!
It's Janna...linked to you from Lori. Congratulations on number 2, and how did number 1 get so big? I'm sorry you're having to go through hard stuff with him...isn't it painful to make medical decisions for your child? Good luck and may the Lord bless you!

Schlofmans said...

You're right about the cords. I do need to hide those. But for now, we have nothing to cover them with. :( You'll need to come and see us though!

Laurie said...

How is he doing? Neither one of my kids liked to wear shoes. Tori does like to own shoes...glitter ones that sparkle.

Emily said...

Poor little Evan. I'm sorry about the shoes. I'm catching up and realized you tagged me-I'll get on it :).