Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Words

I finally got a library card. Yay! Our little town just got a new library that opened back in April. It took me 3 months, but I finally went over and got a library card and borrowed some books.
In the previous nine months, the only books I had read were either ones already in the house, or that I would borrow from the "library" in the Creek house basement. So recently, I'd read a few series suggested by my mother-in-law. One series was about a group of quilters. The stories were about their lives, what makes quilting special and then several books about their ancestors and what made quilting connect one group to the other. It was good to read.
I just read a little series about women in a book club. The interesting part about this series is that each book is from the point of view of a different book club member in the same time frame but is written by a different author.
In the last 3 weeks, since having the library card, I've read The Hobbit, Anne of Green Gables, The Help, & The Book Thief. We also got the first Boxcar Children book and read it to Ryan. He really liked A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein as well. There's a poem called The Meehoo with an Exactlywatt. It's the longest knock knock joke ever.
Last week, we went back to the library and got some more books. The second Boxcar Children book, Charlotte's Web, & The Magic Faraway Tree. We're almost done with the Boxcar Children book and I know I'm excited to read the other two with Ryan as well. For me, I borrowed The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, Gathering Blue & The Secret Lives of Walter Mitty & James Thurber. I'm so excited. I love words. I love how people can combine words into different ideas and different expressions. How the words they think up, the stories they tell can bring out emotions in me and help me think about things in a different way or to just think about things that I haven't thought about in a long time.
Sadly, I can't find every book I'd ever want to read in our little library, but I'm so grateful for the ones I can find.

3 comments:

rantipoler said...

Great post! I love reading and libraries. :)

Nicole said...

awesome! how is ryan doing listening to those books. I should try reading longer stories to Taylor, but haven't done anyhting but picture books so far.

James and Shawnne said...

Just finished reading the help too...that means we were reading the same week!

Love the naming website! thanks! i have a pregnant sister in law and shared it with her too.... it's been fun to read up on all the different ideas.

You are so sweet! Hope all is well!