At the end of September, the Brigham City Utah Temple was dedicated. Instead of regular Sunday meetings, the dedication sessions were broadcast across the state (I don't know how far spread it was). Since there were multiple sessions, I was able to attend one while Oliver watched the boys and he attended while I watched the boys. One of the things that really hit me strong was a comment of how things happen in duos. The gift of the Holy Ghost is given in conjunction with being baptized. In turn, attending the temple has a counterpart. If you are not participating in working on your family history, then you aren't getting the full blessings of participating in temple work. They go hand in hand and if you are only doing one then you are missing out on something.
After hearing that, I felt strongly that I should begin focusing on doing family history myself. The following week at our new ward, they announced a family history class would be starting that day during the Sunday School hour. Oliver and I looked at each other and knew we would be going. Both of our mothers have worked diligently on family history so we aren't starting from scratch, but at the same time, it feels like we have no idea where to start. During that first class I had a thought of what I could contribute to family history. The teacher mentioned gathering your own files in your own home that no else has copies of-marriage certificate, birth certificates of children, any sort of certificate that you have in your home. Find them, scan them, and save them on your computer. They talked alot about keeping things on the computer and creating multiple backups. I had several thoughts that day from why is it important for me to do family history, to where to start and then finally I thought perhaps something I can contribute would be to create Evan's legacy since he won't have children of his own, I want Ryan's children, grandchildren, etc. to know who Evan is.
Last week during General Conference, Elder Richard G. Scott spoke about something similar as was spoken during the temple dedication. He said: Any work you do in the temple is time well spent, but receiving ordinances vicariously for one of your own ancestors will make the time in the temple more sacred, and even greater blessings will be received. He also shared the following quote that I felt was very wise: Set aside those things in your life that don’t really matter. Decide to do something that will have eternal consequences.
I thought this was great reiteration to me of how I should truly be focusing more on this important aspect of the gospel. I've already had a Family Home Evening with Ryan where we wrote his grandparents as well as all of his cousins and aunts. I've pulled out the binders of information given to us by my mom, Oliver's mom, and Oliver's Grandma.
Little do I know of the Lord's plans. Yesterday, a member of the bishopric came over to our home and he asked Oliver and I if we would accept the calling of family history consultants. Haha!!
So we really will be delving further into family history than we ever have before. We were set apart this afternoon and with that came a blessing to me that I would love this important work. I believe I will. I hope that I can remember during the week to set aside the things that don't really matter and I am going to begin praying that I will find things that have eternal consequences. I hope you can too.
3 comments:
Megan, I have been catching up on your blog. I love you and your family. I so glad that things seem to be going well. Keep posting - I love it. We sure miss you around here.
p.s. I didn't mean to delete my first comment, I'm not sure what happened. Sorry.
Wonderful. What an opportunity. You are going to be one fabulous family history consultant, Megan. Thank you for sharing your beautiful thoughts.
Post a Comment