Monday, June 4, 2012

Hello June!

The last night of May we went on an adventure trying to drive to the top of the mountain across Utah Lake. The photo above is not the mountain we were going for, but the view of Mt. Timpanogos from the west side of the lake. Unfortunately, the easy road up was on the side of the mountain where a fire was burning and they wouldn't let us continue around to it. But it was beautiful and we tried to drive the harder way up, but decided it ws getting a little too unsafe so we just drove back down and played at a park until it got too dark to do that anymore. It was a nice night.
We started June off with delicious crock pot pulled pork sandwiches, homemade coleslaw, blue juice and CORN ON THE COB!
That's one of the biggest symbols of summer to me. and not only that, but Ryan ate some of it!! Willingly!!
Maybe it helped that he shucked it himself.
 The photo below was taken by Mr. Shucker himself.
It was a great night. Natalie and Dave came over to share the goodness and then we played 4 rounds of Monopoly Deal.
It was such a good day.
My last little project has involved trying to get over a slump or out of a funk or some poetic term. I have learned over time that I am a lazy person, but mother specifically. Now that Oliver is out of school, Evan is out of school and we're all home without a lot to do, I can't just let the boys sit around doing nothing. So I've created a little schedule for Ryan of things he needs to accomplish each day. Brushing his teeth, helping with dishes, cleaning up after himself, reading scriptures. He is the type of child that I think will thrive on this!
Ryan likes to think there is a purpose to each day and will often ask me questions in the morning like "What does Saturday mean?" During the school year he knew that on Tuesday and Thursday we took Evan to school and on Sunday we go to church, all the other days didn't have meaning for him because I never placed any meaning there.
With this second thought in mind, I came across a blog where a woman had created a purpose for each day(and with lovely alliteration). Make something Monday, Time to Read Tuesday, What's cookin' Wednesday, Be thoughtful Thursday, & Somewhere Fun Friday. If you are interested, here's her post: http://www.somewhatsimple.com/summer-schedule-for-kids/ 
To go along with this, we also spent some time this afternoon to write out a summer bucket list for our family. Ryan drew things, Oliver and I wrote out some fun ideas of what we'd like to do this summer. If we could do it all, I think we might be a little overloaded, but it would also be the best summer ever!
What is your summer going to look like?

4 comments:

Lacey said...

I love the idea of making each day mean something different! I'm excited to try this out and look at her website! Thanks Megan!

B said...

I love the day schedule! Reminds me of that old wives' rhyme from the 1700's..."mend on Monday, bake on Tuesday, wash on Wednesday, iron on Thursday, etc." or something like that. :) My friend has a homeschooling website and she has a little calendar for each month with a fun thing to do each day...lots of great ideas that Julia and I are looking forward to in the fall. Here it is, in case you're interested: http://grassstainguru.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/calendar_nature.pdf Happy June, Megan!

Kristen said...

Sounds like a fun idea- and easy to remember since they're kind of sing-songy! Besides... I doubt you're really a lazy mother- your children are happy & thriving, so you are being anything BUT lazy in my mind!

rantipoler said...

I love, love, love the question, "What does Saturday mean?" :) And hooray for summer corn!