"Thank you for the opportunity to review and renew our testimonies."
-Br. McKinnon, closing prayer in sacrament meeting
Today was a rough day. During the morning, we had ups and downs that didn't exactly put Oliver and I in fantastic, spiritual, happy moods. When we arrived at church, we sat in the last of three rows of chairs that had been set up in the overflow/cultural hall area. Evan didn't know what to do with himself. He wouldn't sit still, he wouldn't be quiet. I tried to hold him during a baby blessing but he kept fighting me. He headbutted Oliver when he got off my lap. Its difficult to calm Evan when he doesn't want it. I'm sure its the same with any other child. During sacrament, he kicked the tray for the water...twice. He kept hitting me, smacked my face once, kept banging things which unfortunately echoes loudly in the cultural hall. I tried to learn from that hour, but it was hard. Oliver was, as always, a blessing.
So at the end of sacrament meeting, when I heard the above words, I started thinking.
Why?!
Why do I do this?
It would be so much easier to not bring Evan to church. It would be easy to stay home and let him destroy our house instead of the Spirit of the meeting. Why do I put all four of us through days like this?!
Through the rest of the meetings I thought on all of this. The Sunday School lesson was called "God is no Respecter of Persons" and someone reiterated the point that God loves us as individuals and he loves ALL of us as individuals. Nursery music time was low key, but those little ones were able to keep a smile on my face instead of the tears I'd had for most of the hour and a half prior. The Relief Society lesson was on Blessings. There wasn't much a lesson that is normal, but the teacher shared some personal thoughts, shared D&C 41:1 and then said, "Those around us, our family, our children, need to know we delight in our blessings and what those blessings are." She then asked us to go around the whole room and everyone share one of their blessings.
It was good to just listen and think about the blessings of others as well as my own. At the end there was a small amount of time to share our own testimonies with each other. And I shared the beginning of this post. And I ended it the way I'm going to end this post.
Why do I do it?
Because over 30 years ago my parents made a choice. They were baptized members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. A few years after I was born, they made another choice. They were sealed to each other and their then 5 children were sealed to them.
Because of their choices, I grew up going to Primary, and attending Young Women meetings and activities. My youth was centered around a lot of things. Primarily my family, school, and church. Somewhere in the middle of all that, I gained a testimony about attending church and Joseph Smith and Jesus Christ.
Why do I do it?
Because I know that Joseph Smith as a 14 year old boy was given a beautiful blessing to see Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and was given the opportunity and responsibility to help restore the gospel of Jesus Christ to the earth. Because I know that Jesus Christ died for me, for my children, for my husband and for all of you that we have a glimmer of a chance to return to Heavenly Father one day. Because I know of a plan. A plan that gives me answers. A plan that gives me hope that the little struggles everyday can be overcome and don't have to define my life. A plan that says that I need to live the commandments, to live the gospel, to live the words the prophets tell us and then, after all of this worldly stuff, I'll be able to return to him.
Why do I do it?
Because I need to be renewed. I need to renew my baptismal covenants. I need to renew my testimony. I need my boys to have chances to learn things that I can't teach them. I need my family to return to Heavenly Father together. That's why.
And after all this rambling and sharing of my thoughts. I know that through all the challenges of life and the blessings that we are given, our relationships, the things we learn, can stay with us forever and that I can be more than I am through allowing Heavenly Father to teach me.
I should be grateful for these teaching moments. While I'm grateful for the chance to have shared my testimony with my ward members and with you today, it will still take me a day or two to be grateful for the fact that I had a breakdown at church and couldn't handle my son for an hour.
9 comments:
I LOVED your post! Being a mom has changed Church for me too. Some for the better and some for the super challenging. So glad to have felt the Spirit from your post.
Thank you for sharing your testimony here. Sometimes when I've spent all three hours in the hall with Ella and am wondering what in the world I am doing at church (especially when it's smack dab in the middle of Ella's naptime) I remember how important it is to help Ella learn that this is what we do. this is our routine. This is what's important to us and we make short term sacrifices for long term benefit. You're a great mother, Megan and I appreciate hearing what you've learned!
I too was uplifted by this post. Amen to what Shauna and Lessa said, truly. Thank you, Megan. You inspire me.
Evan kicking the water tray twice in less than 5 seconds will always be a memory of mine. I'm sure it's not the last time it will happen, but I'll always remember the first time.
May this Sabbath go a little smoother than the last one. "Never give up"
I love how you are teaching my family to be forever.
This Sunday went a little better. The only bad part was the final speaker went 20 minutes over and Evan was soooooo ready to get out of there
There's a boy in our ward with severe autism whose mom seldom brings him because she feels he's disruptive and it embarrasses her. It makes me sad, because I've had some very rewarding experiences working with him in Primary. I don't think she realizes that other people (i.e. me) actually benefit from his presence, even though his needs are different from those of the other kids. I'm going to guess it's the same with Evan - you never know who might be learning and benefiting from having him in church. I know it must be very challenging, and I admire you both for being such great parents.
I am so proud to hear how you are striving to have your family feel the spirit despite the challenge. I hope I can be there more in the future to help too. It means all the world to me to see you and Oliver having some enjoyable time with the kids and occaisionally just the two of you. :)
thanks for sharing, megan. apparently a lot of us have been there before.
Post a Comment