Monday, November 9, 2009

Cultured

Oliver has enjoyed bringing movies home from the UVU library to help us stay "cultured." Part of it, I know, is also to keep me happy. Which means he normally brings home random musicals that we've never heard of. It's a lot of fun. One thing I've learned, it is very hard to stay focused on an entire movie while your children are awake. What has kept us cultured? Well, Oliver felt it very important that I be more knowledgeable of the Star Trek heritage. So we've seen four of the Star Trek movies so far. I think the main point of the movies so far is to make me fall in love with the Enterprise, since there are many long shots of it.

photo courtesy of wikipedia.org

This last weekend, Oliver took me on a tour of the library and let me pick some movies out for myself. One involving some thought was Sunday in the Park with George. It's about the painter, Georges Seurat, and those involved in his painting A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte. It's a very interesting thought process of how an artist chooses art or life. It's fascinating to see how the artist is portrayed as being so overwhelmed by the artistic process of examination, color, and light, that he forgoes any socialization. It goes even a step further in the second act where the fictional great grandson of Seurat is in a similar situation and is trying to connect with the his own challenges of creating art that other people don't understand. It ends with the thought that was written down by his fictional model/love. It reads "White: a blank page or canvas. His favorite--so many possibilities."
I think that's a wonderful thought. So many possibilities for a blank page. We all appreciate a blank page to start something new on. For some people, it can be too overwhelming though to try to pick one thing to place upon that blank page. Where to start, what to choose. Will there be another opportunity to create something as amazing? And yet it's also important to remember that failure is just an opportunity to start over and refine your masterpiece.
How are you getting cultured?

5 comments:

Beth said...

I saw that movie in High School. We watched a lot of random musicals whenever our band teachers were out of town. So they were our substitute teachers.

marci said...

Netflix cultures me. Kind of. Mostly I'm just not cultured.

Love, The Riemans said...

Did you write that for me? Especially those last three-four sentences? hehe. Very applicable to my life, and we have just started a new blank page, that's going to turn out beautifully. I just know it.

rantipoler said...

I love that musical! Sondheim is amazing. I was in Into the Woods as a pre-teen (Little Red Riding Hood) and after that I was hooked. Sometimes Vanderbilt has free events at the school of music. This weekend JC and I are headed to Mozart's opera "The Marriage of Figaro" for free. Woo-hoo!

neal said...

meg, i don't care what you say but star trek heritage can't be considererd "cultured".... but that other movie sounds like it did it's job, so congrats