Thursday, November 12, 2009

Cultured 2

Tonight I got another brief look into another culture and be awed by the love individuals have to their heritage as well as how they openly share it.
The RAs put together a program for the area that involved writing letters to military brigades from Utah thanking them for what they've done, writing thankful notes for posting, food, and watching a presentation from the Tribe of Many Feathers Club who we were able to connect with via the Multicultural Office on campus.
They shared some history, some little known facts and then had a hoop dancer perform. It was a beautiful display and I'm glad I was able to witness it. Throughout the performance she is constantly moving and changing and this moment was one that I really connected with, perhaps because of Oliver.
She was a bird! For a few brief seconds. And she soared in a circle before moving on to a new formation. This was a very talented woman and it made me want to know more about how the Native American cultures are so deeply rooted into the symbols of nature. I was very grateful they could come and share their culture with us. I love being opened up to new ideas and experiences.

2 comments:

Megan Lewis said...

Props to you for keeping culture as an important pillar in your life! I feel like I've slipped in the cultured area lately and have started listening to classical music to try to bump it up a notch. I also really enjoy watching dances from other cultures. It is incredible what we humans can accomplish and create together isn't it?

rantipoler said...

I absolutely love the hoop dance. It's one of my favorites, and I like the bird position (stance??) best.