Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Joy of Swimming

Many people may not appreciate swimming in the same way that I do, but today I was reminded of how much I love it.
This morning we were able to spend time at Heber Creek State Park. A large family gathering for Oliver's family which tradition sanctions waterskiing on the lake. While I didn't get out onto the boat, I spent time in the water with Evan and then was challenged by Oliver's brother to swim to the buoy that is at the edge of the bay we were in to signal boats to slow down before entering the bay. Well, everyone(brother-in-law included) wimped out on me as we began to swim in the rather cold water. So while I didn't go all the way, I had an extremely peaceful moment floating there in the middle of the bay with very little noise getting to my ears, the sun beating down on me and looking up to a beautiful blue sky with light & fluffy clouds dispersed throughout my view. I wish I could show you the view I had, but it's hard to show unless you are there. I haven't been swimming in almost a year and a year is long enough to forget the blessed joy of forcing your body through the water and focusing on your arm strokes or the effort of kicking or even breathing. As I spoke to Oliver about it, he said, "I know, that's why I always want you to go swimming because I know how much you love it." And I do. I love it.
I'm so thankful for the Olympics because this is the only time you ever get to see competitive swimming on TV. This afternoon and then this evening Pop & I were able to watch some quarter finals, semifinals and finals of a couple events and I loved it!
So while I sit here feeding Ryan, with some rather burnt shoulders(I didn't put on any sunscreen), I'm grateful for the reminder of the sport I love and perhaps a little encouragement to start exercising regularly. (Perhaps).

4 comments:

emily and kevin griffin said...

we love the olympics too. that's great that you've found something you like to do to exercise...it makes it so much nicer!

Nola said...

I love swimming also! I drag Matyas out 2-5 times a week. I have a floaty thing with a canopy that he plays in while I push him back and forth swimming laps in the Helaman pool. Not the same as full out swimming, but I still love it!

Sarraphim said...

Oh man, I've gotta start swimming again too! I miss it! :'(

7Carters!E,H,V,B,R,C,E said...

So fun when you remember how much you love something!! Now that I live no where near a swimming pool, I can say...take advantage of the RB or helaman pool!!!